Own a Pig Scheme - 'Pig Your Own'
If the idea of eating your own rare breed, free-range pork appeals to you and you would like to own your own pig, but do not have the time or space to properly care for it, we can arrange to look after it for you.
You get to choose which breed you would like to buy and we will source a piglet for you. We will send you monthly photographs of your piglet and will update you on its progress. You can even come and visit it (subject to prior arrangement)
At the end you get to choose what you would like back from your pig and how you would like the meat butchered. It only takes 6-7 months before you have a freezer full of succulent, mouth-watering pork, with the added bonus of knowing exactly how and where it all came from.
You can even share a pig with some friends and split the cost and the meat.
Advantages of the scheme
- There is no capital outlay. Arks, fencing, water troughs etc. are all provided by us.
- You will not need to bother with all the bureaucratic paperwork (movement records, medicine records, holding numbers etc) we will deal with these.
- You can go away on holiday without having to find a 'Pig Sitter'!
- You do not need to force yourself out of bed on a cold, dark morning with biting wind and driving rain in order to feed your hungry pig.
- If you only want one pig it does not mean keeping it in isolation. Pigs are very social creatures and hate to be on their own.
- There will be no unexpected vet's bills, we take care of these.
- In the unlikely event of your pig becoming unwell and dying, we will replace him/her with another pig of the same breed so your investment will be safeguarded.
Disadvantages of the scheme
- There is no doubt that you will miss out on the day to day contact with your pig (though this may make eating it easier!)
- You will have no excuse to buy the farmers cap, green wellies and waterproofs!
The cost of owning your own pig will be £325.
This includes feed, straw, veterinary fees, slaughter cost, butchering and packing.
We do not charge for the updates or pictures.
A £95 deposit is required, this is taken off the total at the end.
If you are still undecided weather the 'Own a Pig Scheme' is for you, why not come to one of our pig keeping courses to find out what is involved in keeping a pig yourself.
Ordering Your Own Pig
Unfortunately our own a pig scheme is a victim of its own success. We have had such a lot of interest in this recently that we have now completely run out of pigs available for adoption!
We have therefore decided to suspend this scheme at present to allow us time to restock.
I just wanted to drop a quick note to thank you for all your help and the service you have given over the past few months.
I bought a pig for my Dad’s 72nd birthday which has just been delivered. When I bought it as a present I knew it was a slightly quirky idea but had no idea just how good a present it turned out to be, thanks to you.
My Dad has been over the moon with it, especially now it’s finally arrived. Everybody, both he and I have told about it, think it was a fabulous gift (vegetarians aside!) and believe me he has told everybody.
Your whole concept is excellent. The progress reports help to build the anticipation and the butchery is done very professionally.
The only complaint I have is that I now live 350 miles away from my parents and I’d love a bacon sandwich !!!"
We are planning a big party and the whole shoulder is the star of the show. I'll send you a picture.......
What can I say. The pork looks incredible. A 7kg shoulder! This is going to be some party. Everything looks fantastic. Thanks so much........
The party was a triumph and the whole shoulder the star of the show. It was stunning, and the crackling is something the guests will talk about for a long time.
I cooked the meat for 8 hours at 130 degrees and then for 30 minutes at 215 degrees. Here is a picture of it.
The pork was so sweet and tender, and I can't wait for the leftovers.